Sunday, April 1, 2007

Riddle at Wayne Enterprises

Originally posted at Riddle at Wayne Enterprises

I'm widely loved, despite being green;
In order to get me, even friends can be mean.
I corrupt, because I mean power;
Many use me to build their towers.
These towers rise very high from ground;
In order to get me, two were brought down.


The muscular figure read the email and frowned.

"Is something wrong, Mr. Wayne?"

"No, everything is fine, Mrs. Jones. I'm sorry, I guess my thoughts were elsewhere. What were you saying?"

"I'm just reminding you of your meeting with representatives of the German Embassy and the CEO and leadership of Wayne Enterprises, GmbH in Germany. It begins in 43 minutes. Also, the president of Gotham Bank phoned and needs to see you this afternoon. He says it's urgent."

"Fine, thanks, I'll be at the meeting on time. Where is it?"

"In the big conference room at the other end of the hall, sir."

"Thanks Mrs. Jones. And please schedule Gotham Bank for right after that meeting, if the president wouldn't mind coming over here."

"He already said he'd be delighted to, if you are able to squeeze him in, sir."

"Thanks, great."

"Would you like me to close the door on the way out?"

"Yes, please."

His assistant gone, the muscular figure looked back at his email and frowned again. The sender's name was shown only as "Mr. E." And a mystery it truly was: not everyone had Bruce Wayne's private email address.

A sudden buzz from his wrist cell phone interrupted his thoughts. If it was possible to frown even more, he did so.

"Yes, Alfred," he answered to the friendly image on the screen.

"Did I catch you at a bad time, sir?"

"Not really. Well, sort of. What's up?"

"You have a visitor on his way to see you about your business, sir."

Just then, the door opened, and Mrs. Jones entered again with some files.

"I know, Alfred. I've got visitors scheduled all afternoon."

The face in the image looked more intent. "It's about your other business, sir."

The muscular figure looked at the image, perplexed. "Our new branch of Wayne Enterprises in Thailand?"

"Not that business. Your other business."

"The Wayne Foundation Charity Hospital?" the figure asked, noticing a strange look from Mrs. Jones.

"Your other business, sir," the image intently prodded him.

The figure glanced up quickly at his assistant.

"'Curiouser and curiouser', Master Bruce...." the face prodded him some more. "He should be there any moment."

No comments: