Saturday, June 2, 2007

Buried Alive

At International Campaign to Stop Honour Killings today is a story entitled Iran: Woman buried alive for honour. Here are some key excerpts:

Iran's Ham-Mihn newspaper reported the case of an Ahwazi woman who was buried alive by her father in April. Villagers had accused her of having an extra-marital affair after she divorced her husband, prompting her father to kill her for the sake of family honour. He admitted killing his 22 year old daughter Nejat, but claimed she agreed to be buried alive and even helped to dig her own grave. After Nejat's mother learnt of the killing, her husband threatened to bury her alive if she reported the murder to the authorities. Nejat's two year old daughter has since been taken to an orphanage in Ahwaz City, according to the British Ahwazi Friendship Society.

This account of the killing has been confirmed by Iranian women's rights activists.


A translation from Farsi records images of the victim's last moments, as her father was burying her alive:

Nejat knew that in a society where misogyny is deeply rooted in tradition, where misogyny is promoted by the government, where the police covers the bodies of women to preserve the "honor" of the ruling bodies, she had to search for rescue in nonexistence. Her story is so painful that it can not be written.

So let one of the last images speak for itself:

This man said about the bitter moments that he buried his daughter alive: When I dug the hole, my daughter went towards it without saying a word and laid down in it. I did not feel well, but I thought I was doing the right thing. Initially, I used the shovel to put the dirt on her. She wasn't saying anything. She just stared at the sky. I threw the dirt on her stomach and chest, but she still did not say anything. She did not ask me not to do that. I looked at her in the last moment, before I covered her face with dirt. She called out to me and said 'Dad, please take care of my daughter."


Since their revolution, the Islamic leadership has made the Islamic Republic of Iran into a Hell on Earth for women.

Allah's Apostle said (edited for two typos):

"Then I saw the (Hell) Fire, and I have never before seen such a horrible sight as that, and I saw that the majority of its dwellers were women." The people asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What is the reason for that?" He replied, "Because of their ungratefulness." It was said. "Do they disbelieve in Allah (are they ungrateful to Allah)?" He replied, "They are not thankful to their husbands and are ungrateful for the favors done to them. Even if you do good to one of them all your life, when she sees some harshness from you, she will say, "I have never seen any good from you.'"


Obviously, the torments of the Fire seem to be a relief to some women after what they have to go through in the Islamic world on Earth.

3 comments:

WomanHonorThyself said...

gosh does it get sicker than this..........good Lord

Yankee Doodle said...

Yes, it does. :(

pela68 said...

Stoning, lashing, alive- burials, beheadings, all the torture you can get for 20 buck´s, Woman burnings, inhumane dress- codes, child soldiers and child suicide bombers, no music, no alcohol, no soccer games- no humanity.

I could go on. But it just get´s me too depressed. All culturues are equal- Yeh right!