Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Surveying Cyberspace; Guadalcanal

Just a quick post to alert you to some links of which you may not be aware....

The Midnight Sun is a great blog with interesting debates in the comments -- well worth the visit.

Michael J. Totten's Middle East Journal has some excellent insights into the Iraq War. Mr. Totten is an independent journalist, and moves embedded with military units on patrol there. If you like his work, hit his tip jar -- every little bit helps.

There is a great deal worth reading at the Counterterrorism Blog.

One of the bloggers from the Counterterrorism Blog, Douglas Farah, has his own blog, which is worth a look.

In case you didn't know, Velvet Hammer has a new location.

Check out Blackflag, Foundation for the Defense of Democracies and The Amboy Times while you're out and about.

Angel at Woman Honor Thyself has an excellent post. Sometimes the obvious needs to be stated, and Angel does it with wit!

If you're interested in something that is off topic (relative to this blog) and quite humorous, visit Out of Focus.

As you're visiting these blogs, tell them Yankee Doodle sent you. Who knows? They might be giving away free stuff!

---------- August 8 Update ----------



At the behest of a reader, I am rewriting this section a little.

August 7th is the 65th anniversary of the Marine landings at Guadalcanal.

A primarily US operation, this was the first Allied offensive in the Pacific Theater in World War II. By the end of the Guadalcanal campaign, Japanese offensive operations had ceased. While the Japanese did conduct counteroffensive operations during the remainder of the war, those were more localized and reactive in nature. After Guadalcanal, the Allies never lost the strategic initiative, and the Japanese never regained it.

Research it and learn about this important phase of World War II.

In particular, I invite my Australian readers to post about Australian participation in the Guadalcanal campaign, and about the strategic reasons for the Guadalcanal landings.

(Oooh -- the pressure!)

----------- End of Update -----------



If I said I would mention your blog the next time I did a post like this, and didn't do it, please leave me a reminder in the comments or send me an email.

3 comments:

velvethammer said...

Thanks so much Yankee!

It is awful good of you. :)

I hope this finds you well.
I am drained. What a loooong day, I've had. lol

- VH

Aurora said...

Yankee, thanks so much for the link. I think we're pretty much on the same page politically. I enjoy your comments.

Aurora said...

By the way, I'll have to read up on the Guadalcanal now. THanks for the heads up.